MEAT FREE MONDAY | Sweet Potato & Plantain Tacos with Mango Barbecue Sauce, Pico De Gallo & Black Beans

6.5.13

From Ethical Ocean's Vegan Recipe Challenge
 
So I am currently in South America, in my homeland of Guyana. Last week I took went to Vintage Wine Bar in the capital city where my friend is the chef de cuisine and thought I would take a chance on the Fish Tacos. DELISH!!! Fresh Guyanese Fish, in a Taco? Perfection! When I got home, I thought to myself a good vegetarian taco recipe is what Meat Free Monday needs, and found this Sweet Potato and Plantain Taco from Ethical Ocean's Vegan Recipe Competition which I have copied into this post. I have yet to try it, but trust that I will make it as soon as I return to the UK, and after I have had my fill of all this wonderful Guyanese food. #FOODHAVEN

Serves: 3 | Time to prepare: 30 minutes

 

Ingredients


Tacos
  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled, 1/4" dice
  • 1 large black/yellow plantain, 1/4" dice
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup cooked jasmine rice
  • 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
  • 2 radishes, thinly sliced
  • vegan sour cream, optional, for garnish
  • 8 6" corn tortillas, warmed
   Pico De Gallo
  • 1 cup tomatoes, small dice
  • 1/4 cup sweet onion, minced
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded, minced
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
  • sea salt, to taste
Mango Barbecue Sauce
  • 1 mango, peeled, small dice
  • 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 3 tablespoons organic light brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

 

Directions

1)Preheat the oven to 220 C/425 F.
2)Tacos: Toss the sweet potato and plantain with oil, maple syrup, paprika, cayenne, cinnamon, ginger and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes until tender and lightly charred on the edges. Heat up the beans in a small pot and season with salt. Assemble the tacos with sweet potato, black beans, pico, barbecue sauce, cilantro, radishes and sour cream.
3)Pico De Gallo: Combine and serve.
4)Mango Barbecue Sauce: Blend together the mango, chipotle pepper, garlic and orange juice into a puree. Combine the mango puree with all of the remaining ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes until the sauce has slightly thickened.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe