MEAT FREE MONDAY | 10 Clever Ways to Keep Groceries Longer

13.5.13

Taken from 27 Ways to Make Groceries Last as Long As Possible
We all know that I kind of have an obsession with waste. I HATE IT!!! AARRGGHHH!!! Especially when it comes to food. So I thought for this Meat Free Monday, I would focus on just that very thing that I hate the most--having to throw food out of the refrigerator. 

My friend and guest blogger, Alex L., sent me a link to 27 Ways to Make Your Groceries Last As Long As Possible and thought that I would extrapolate 10 of my favourite tricks of the trade to share with you. Of course, you could just as easily go to the link for the full list, but these are the 10 that I do, have done and will start to do.

  1. Put onions in pantyhose, and tie knots between onion. They claim onions can last as long as 8 months--now that is freaky.
  2. Store delicate herbs like parsley and basil in container and cover with plastic and rubber band. I hate when my fresh parsley and coriander goes bad after a few days. It really does wind me up. This is something I do already, and have had parsley and coriander in my fridge (and on my kitchen counter during the colder months) for weeks. Success!
  3. Use a vinegar solution to make berries last longer. Prepare a mixture of one part vinegar (white or apple cider) and ten parts water. Swirl the berries around in the mixture, drain, rinse, and put them in the fridge. The solution is diluted enough that you won’t taste the vinegar. Raspberries will last a week or more, and strawberries go almost two weeks without getting moldy and soft.
  4. Do not store onions with potatoes. I've never heard of this one before, but I think its because of the moisture that potatoes give off that will spoil onions faster. MUST-GET-PANTY-HOSE-STAT!
  5. Spray leftover guacamole with cooking spray before putting it back in the fridge. It is also good if you keep the pit of the avocado. 
  6. Store potatoes with apples to keep them from sprouting. WHAT NOW? 
  7. Add a dab of butter to the cut side of cheese to keep it from drying out. Hello! Genius! Where my cheese-lovers at? [I never end my sentences or questions with a preposition by the way, but I'll make an exception here]
  8. Freeze and Preserve fresh herbs in olive oil. I like this idea very much, especially since the herbs will infuse the oil while freezing, and the ice cubes are very handy for cooking: just pop one out and use as the base of a dish. Works best with rosemary, sage, thyme, and oregano. Dill, basil, and mint should always be used fresh.
  9. Store lettuce with a piece of paper towel. This absorbs moisture. Also, you might want to invest in a salad spinner. It’ll get rid of moisture, which is the culprit of wilting leaves. 
  10. Keep mushrooms in a paper bag and not a plastic one. A plastic bag will trap moisture and cause them to mildew. Put them in a paper bag in the fridge or in a cool, dry place. 
Check out the full 27 Ways, especially the list of what to store in the fridge and what to store at room temperature or in a cool place

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe