MEAT FREE MONDAY | Roasted Beetroot & Spinach Lasagne20.8.12
Welcome to our second Meat Free Monday!
This week we're making Beetroot & Spinach Lasagne. Sounds weird but tastes amazing.
Photo NY Times
6 medium organic red beets
1/2 bag organic spinach
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves of chopped garlic
3 tablespoons sifted all-purpose flour
3 cups organic milk
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh herbs of your choosing
4 spinach lasagne sheets
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1. Roast the beets - leaving 1cm of stem, place beets in a casserole dish with 1cm of water. Roast at 200C for 45 mins until soft. After cooling remove the stem, peel off the skin and slice.
2. Béchamel sauce - while the beets are cooking get onto the béchamel. Heat oil over a medium heat. Add garlic and cook until soft. Stir in the flour and continue stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbling slightly. Pour in the milk slowly stirring continually to ensure there are no lumps. Stir for 10-15 mins until thick then add salt, pepper, nutmeg and herbs.
3. Steam spinach until semi wilted
4. Grease a lasagne dish and spread a layer of béchamel on the bottom. Then layer lasagne sheet, beets, parmesan, béchamel, lasagne sheet, spinach, béchamel, lasagne sheet. Continue until full finishing with a lasagne sheet, béchamel and parmesan.
5. Cover with foil and bake for 40 mins at 175C. Leave to cool before serving.
Watch the video that inspired TCC's Meat Free Monday here.