MEAT FREE MONDAY | Baked Spicy Garlic Plantains

22.7.13


So this post is meant for Emma H., a dedication if you wish. We both love plantains (member of the banana family), and being from the Caribbean, it is definitely one of our staple snacks. You can have them savoury or sweet once they have ripened. The master chef of these is not myself, but my dear old Daddio--its his speciality--however, I did add some extra seasonings that worked like a charm.
Although this is typically cut in circles and fried. However, we have long loved them long, thin, and baked as a healthy option. These are made from the unripened plantain which is savoury and a great substitute for potato crisps (US: potato chips). 


INGREDIENTS  Serves 3-5 people
2 green plantains
2 tbsp olive oil
pepper sauce [add to your preference of spice or you can use chilli flakes or powder]
1/2 tsp of garlic salt or 1 tsp of garlic powder and 1/2 tsp of salt
1 tsp of herbs [I experimented by grinding a garlic and rosemary mixture]
Additional sea salt to taste

Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. With a fan oven, I tend to reduce the heat to 190°C

RECIPE
Remove plantain peel with a knife, then thinly slice length-wise using a mandoline. If you do not have one, I would cut in circles as that is definitely easier with a knife. Watch those fingers!
In a bowl, toss plantain slices with olive oil, pepper sauce (in this case, my grandfather's homemade pepper sauce which he makes every fortnight), and spices.
Spread plantains out flatly onto a baking tray.
Bake for 15 minutes, turning slices over half way.
Monitor these babies, as you do not want them to burn easily.
Remove from oven, add salt if necessary and...
...DEVOUR!!!!

To serve you can eat these on their own. I sometimes like to drizzle 1 tsp of seasoned olive oil on them, if I bake them, but I would recommend NOT doing that if we're keeping these healthy.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe